March 19, 2010

HELP, I'm stuck at a baby shower!

At this very moment I am hiding out in the office while a pack of fifteen women sit just beyond the door. It is hard to be certain, but I believe they are guarding the cheesecake and chocolate fondue. They are also making gregarious, giggly and otherwise indiscernible, confusing noises. Relegated to my corner of the condo, I feel safe. At intervals I am commanded to put children to bed, re-park cars and then instructed to return to my corner.

Now, if you are reading this, the odds that you are female are very good. If you're not, please back me up here (if you are in a position to do so). Can you remember the first time you heard of a "baby shower"? I can. I was a bright kid and I knew two things for sure: there was going to be cake and I was not invited.

Some new-agey yippee types try to integrate the men and women into baby showers. However, this too is inherently flawed. The problem is instinctual. If you're a girl, think about the feeling you get inside when you see a brand new little baby. You probably want to hold it, but feel like maybe you should hold back so as to not freak out the mother with your strong feelings. I just see a baby that isn't mine. And, I will admit that guys who get overly excited about babies (not of their own making) sort of weird me out. So, if you find yourself at a yippee co-ed baby shower take a good look around to see if you can't find at least one guy squirming at the unnaturalness of it.

Not that I've had to withstand that misfortune. But, let's consider for a second, what might be the male equivalent of a baby shower? Superbowl? UFC? Playoffs? These are the easy answers, but they don't really stack up. These male dominated activities lack the exclusivity of a baby shower. I want an activity where no girls are allowed, and if they are, they feel like they shouldn't be there...

Something like Boyscouts, Freemasonry or the men's hair club. But my question is do they have cheesecake and chocolate fondue?

6 comments:

Brooke Trogdon said...

probably not. no cheesecake or chocolate fondue. Maybe bean dip if their wives made it? Good luck! But truthfully, I never really love baby showers myself and I AM a girl. They're always too long and drawn out for my taste. Boring and silly games. I'd be hanging out with if I were there, but at least I could sneak some goodies for the both of us!

Darlene Anderson said...

Well...when, not if, you're in this position again, get a plan. Figure out some way to sneak in and pilfer the treats for your sustenance in your "man cave". Poor fella, relegated to the cold/dark hinterlands while the women socialize and enjoy the warmth and sunshine of laughter, dessert and friendship. Sounds as though you learned the perils of "The Baby Shower" (insert dramatic/scary music here) at a young age and have some type of plan for survival. Good luck, man, you can do it!

Sheila said...

LOL!! Seriously dude, I wish I knew you better. I feel totally jipped that you and Telia are so far away. And you should tell her to pan down and hook you up with some of that food!!!! C'mon Telia!!!

kesli said...

At least you are kind enough to stick around to help out with the few tasks: kids to bed, moving cars, etc. Ryan would have been out the door about an hour before everything began. You're a good man, Ben!

PS. Tell Aeden Happy belated Birthday from us!!

Melanie said...

Ha! I love this post! My husband often wonders the same thing. But we always decide it would be completely weird for guys to throw parties for each other, or even ahve a guys night out. Why is that??

Mike and Amie said...

You are cracking me up! Thanks for the laugh! If I think of such an event I'll let you know.