September 12, 2010

Home Improvements

We live in United States Government quarters. Think of it as living in a rental house with really a really particular landlord. Officially, absolutely no home improvements should ever be made without an authorized work order. We even need a work order to change out light bulbs. Except things are a little relaxed on the reservation.The basic rule here is change everything back to the bleak condition you found it in. Consequently, anytime a resident moves there is a free for all to collect all the plants, planter boxes, etc. When it is our time to go I foresee physicians running around like kids after a busted pinata. You see, we have been very busy bees. At least Tracy, my father in law has. He came a few weeks ago to visit under the auspices of needing a break. Instead, he worked, worked and worked until our whole place was whipped into shape. Just to give you an idea of what he did we've included the photographic evidence, but even they don't tell the whole story. Highlights include a small fence, re-engineered our drainage with gravel, a gravel pathway (in our drip line),  a chicken run, a shelf in our garage, and a planter box.

By the time he was getting ready to leave I was feeling pretty outmatched. Like, "Does Telia expect me to be THIS industrious?" I don't know. I have made some small improvements too, but it is well understood that Tracy is the Man. Thanks Tracy. No, really. Thanks. I just wish we had "before" photos.

Telia and I built the coop and wired the run. We're really proud of it

















Tracy built the planter box and ran drainage pipe under the gravel
The fence hides our garbage can and miscellaneous items

This is a walkway and a rain run off solution by Tracy


















Notice the absence of weeds under the clothesline. Telia and I did that.

















Inner and outer courtyards of the Chicken Sanctuary

Rooster? preparing to antagonize our chicks















This chicken previously known as "Olga" is being renamed "Richard"

Telia slips a smile while I write this post. Notice 2 pans of cinnamon rolls

6 comments:

Darlene Anderson said...

Holy Smoke Signal!!!! Tracy's an industrious fellow, generous too!! I'd just say, "thank you" and not feel pressured to keep up; acknowledge his thing and then do yours. The place looks great! those chickens have got to love the run and I know Telia is glad to have the weeds under the clothesline banished. How far does that fence extend off the side of your house extend? I love your image of physicians rummaging for "pinata treasures" when your time there is finished; I knew adults were just "big kids". Thanks for the weekly update; keep them coming!!

Darlene Anderson said...

Wow it looks awesome. I did see the before and it looks great. I love the area for the chickens. Good Protection. What is the fence for? Tracy did a great job.
Dad Anderson

Amy Beatty said...

THis is great. Love the honesty you have. Tracy really is the MAN. Hope Richard recovers from being called Olga! :) I want to come visit you. We might be coming near you in a couple weeks. When are plans are solid I'll let you guys know.

Barry and Rochelle said...

Telia Anderson. You totally knew you were pregnant when we left for the summer and you said nothing, you sly lil dog. Do you know the gender yet? Are you going to find out? Is that going to be 3 under 3? You are so tough! I'm impressed :)

Sheila said...

I'm thinkin' you're lookin' dang cute there lil mamma!! I'm so excited to be preggers together again! And I have to agree that Tracy is the MAN! I guess once been around the block once or twice, built your own home, etc. you can do this kind of stuff as "time off" right?? It all looks great! Hope you're feeling great T--LOVE YOU!!!!

Spencer, Erin, Parker and Ben said...

Those Stouts- always working, I love it. Telia is pregnant?! How come I didn't remember that. I can't keep up with you guys! Congrats!